Azure Stream Analytics - Streaming Dashboard in PBI
Updated: Feb 27
2 Minute Read
Quick Intro to Azure Stream Analytics
To gain powerful insights from a streaming source the best possible service in azure is "Azure Stream Analytics". It is a real-time analytics and complex event-processing engine that is designed to analyze and process high volumes of fast streaming data from multiple sources. Let's quickly understand how to configure, implement and create a streaming dashboard in Power BI service.
Login to Azure portal , create a IoT Hub Resource
Then create a IOT device and name it
3. Now, you need to copy the connection string from step 2
and paste it in an actual IOT device ( in this case we will use a
IOT simulator. https://azure-samples.github.io/raspberry-pi-web-simulator/ )
( note the connection-string in the image below , this will your IOT device connection string)
4. Run the simulator, this will start sending messages to the resource created in
5. Create a Stream Analytics job. Configure input and output job/alias.
6. Input will be your IOT device and output will be your PowerBI service
( Ensure your PowerBI service is authenticated and uses same credential)
7. Copy the query in the above screenshot in the query tab to get average humidity and temperature ( Ensure your input, output alias is the same as in above screenshot)
8. Run the query and name your PowerBI streaming dataset and table. In PBI service create a dashboard and streaming tiles, You should see the below gif.
References: Microsoft site and a big shout out to Adam -> check out his YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbGmyjgY0pU&t=1283s
Love to hear your comments...Happy blogging!!